When you’re in the mood to snack, what do you turn to?
If you’re like most people, your mind probably flashed to images of potato chips, salty crackers, cakes or chocolate bars which, while very tasty, aren’t too healthy to be munching on at regular intervals throughout the day.
For owners of food dehydrators, snacking brings to mind a delicious array of healthier snacks all of which are homemade. Dehydrated snack options include apple chips, kale chips, sundried tomatoes, banana chips and biltong.
Make your snacking habit a healthy one. Instead of reaching for sugary chocolate or salty potato chips, you can snack on healthier, nutrient-dense foods. Dehydrated fruit may help quench your sweet-tooth while providing nutritional benefits at the same time.
Recipes To Snack On
- Sunny Garlic Hummuscourtesy of A Fork in the Trail Hummus is one of the easiest things to make for a trail lunch, and this one has the sunny flavor of oranges. Ingredients: 1 can chickpeas – rinsed and drained¼ cup orange juice½ teaspoon lime juice2 cloves garlic1 heaping teaspoon orange zest2 tablespoons tahiniPinch pink Himalayan salt¼ teaspoon… Read more
- Garlic & Herb CroutonIngredients 2 cups fresh almond pulp2 small zucchini (baby marrow) thinly sliced1 cup ground flaxseed2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil2 teaspoons mixed herbs2 teaspoons crushed garlic½ teaspoon salt Directions Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl and mix well, using your hands, to make a soft dough. Place the dough on a dehydrator solid… Read more
- Seedy CrackersIngredients: 4 cups golden flaxseeds4 cups sunflower and pumpkin seeds2 cups chia seeds3 cups onion and red pepper4 cups carrot & celery veggie pulp left over from juicing1 tablespoon garlic powder1 teaspoon sea salt3 teaspoons mixed herbs(optional)1 teaspoon cayenne pepper Directions: Soak all seeds for 6 hours or overnight in water. Your flax and chia… Read more
- Healthy Buckwheat SandwichIngredients: ½ cup olive oil1½ cups sun-dried tomatoes3 cups sprouted buckwheat1 cup flaxseed meal3½ cups peeled zucchini roughly chopped2 cups apple cored and roughly chopped3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice2 avocados1 large onion½ cup minced fresh parsley Directions: Pulse the olive oil, sun dried tomatoes, sprouted buckwheat, zucchini, apple, lemon juice, avocados, onion and herbs in… Read more
- Tasty Cheezy ChipsIngredients: 2 bunches of kale (washed and torn)2½ cups raw cashews (soaked for 4-6 hours then drained)2 red peppers (seeded and chopped)1 clove garlic2 limes (juice only)1 teaspoon salt (adjust to more if needed) Directions: Wash kale thoroughly and remove the thickest part of the stemTear kale into larger than bite size pieces and set… Read more
- Sunflower CrackersIngredients: 2 cups sunflower seeds, soaked 4 hours, drained and rinsed1 cup walnuts, soaked 4 hours, drained and rinsed½ cup sun dried tomatoes, finely chopped¼ cup filtered water3 cups zucchini, chopped½ cup flax meal¼ cup hemp seeds1 teaspoon sea salt Optional: Herbs of your choice Directions: Process walnuts and sunflower seeds in a Super blender,… Read more
- Strawberry BarsIngredients: ¾ cup pitted, soft medjool dates½ cup mashed banana¼ cup raw jungle peanut butter or raw almond butter¼ tsp sea salt3 tablespoon chia seeds3 tablespoon hemp seeds3 tablespoon ground flaxseed2 cups rolled oats (or gluten free rolled oats)1 cup dried strawberries Directions: In a Super blender, combine the dates, banana, almond butter and sea… Read more
- Cream Cheeze Spread with CrackersIngredients: Spread2 cups cashews (soaked overnight, rinsed and drained)¼ to ½ cup water3 tablespoons lemon juice1 small clove garlic1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar5 tablespoons chopped chivesSalt to taste Crackers2 cups almonds (soaked overnight, rinsed and drained)1 cup roughly chopped broccoli3 carrots, roughly chopped1 onion, finely chopped½ cup ground light flax seed1 cup water¼ cup soy… Read more
- Almond CrackersIngredients: ½ cup ground golden flax 1 cup water 3 cups almond nuts (soaked overnight, rinsed and drained) 2 tablespoons rosemary, chopped fine Himalayan Salt and fresh ground pepper to taste Directions: Stir ground flax in water and set aside for ½ hour to soften Place wet, drained almonds in a Super Blender and process… Read more
- Red Beet ChipsIngredients: 12 beetsOlive oil to lightly cover the beetsA sprinkle of Salt Directions: Using a Mandoline slicer, carefully slice your beets into chips Massage your sliced beets with olive oil and a sprinkle of salt Place them on trays in the Kuto or Ezidri Ultra dehydrator at 45 degree celsius for a few hours depending… Read more
- Delicious Pulpy Pizza CrustIngredients: 2 cups fresh vegetable pulp 5 sun dried tomatoes (finely chopped) 1 small carrot (grated) 1 cup almond pulp/ground almonds 1 cup ground pumpkin seeds ½ cup ground chia ½ red onion (finely chopped) 3 tablespoons tamari 2 tablespoons olive oil 1 tablespoon cumin 1 teaspoon sea salt Directions: Place all ingredients in a… Read more
- Flax and Carrot CrackersIngredients: 3 cups of carrot pulp½ cup flax seeds1 tablespoon olive oil1 teaspoon mixed herbs and spicesA pinch of salt Directions: Mix all the ingredients in a medium sized bowlSpread mixture onto non-stick sheets on a Kuto dehydrator tray or onto a solid sheet of a dehydrator like the Ezidri dehydrator and spread evenlyDehydrate at… Read more
- Zucchini CrackersIngredients: 2½ cups walnuts2½ cups peeled cubed zucchini½ cup ground golden flax seed¼ cup hemp or sesame seed2 teaspoons Himalayan salt (less if using fine Celtic sea salt) Directions: In a Super blender, grind the walnuts into crumbsTransfer contents to a bowlGrind the zucchini into small bits. (Do NOT process into a puree! Keep texture)Add… Read more
- Zucchini ChipsIngredients: 1 medium zucchini/cucumber 1 tablespoon olive oil Salt and other seasoning to taste Directions: Wash and slice zucchini/cucumber into thin slices using a Mandoline slicer or a knife In a bowl mix zucchini/cucumber with all seasoning Place zucchini/cucumber on the dehydrator trays Dry in yourKuto dehydrator or Ezidri dehydrator at 50 degrees celsius or… Read more