South Africa is known as the rainbow nation. This is because this beautiful country encompasses so many different cultures languages and traditions.
One of the things that anyone who is South African knows very well (even just in terminology for us vegans and vegetarians) is traditional “biltong”. One of the most common snacks, you can now enjoy it your way by preparing it yourself with a dehydrator.
How to make Biltong with your dehydrator
You will need:
- A sharp knife
- A mixing bowl and a large tray
- 2kg Rump steak
- ½ cup salt
- 3 cups vinegar (we recommend apple cider vinegar)
- ½ cup ground black pepper
- ¾ cup ground coriander
- 3 tbsp. preferred mixed spices (optional)
Once you have all the ingredients, the next steps are pretty basic and simple.
- Remove the excess fat from the steak and sprinkle salt then gently rub it in. Turn the steak around and repeat process. Place on the tray and leave for about an hour so the salt can drain the moisture out.
- Once the hour has lapsed, scrape of as much of the salt as possible then place the steak in a bowl and pour vinegar. Drain the vinegar after approximately 5 minutes. This helps with drawing out additional moisture.
- Add all your spices and rub then even on all parts of the steak.
- Cut it into desired slices and place on your dehydrator tray. Add one layer of meat on each tray for even drying.
- Dehydrate for 12-14 hours at 68 degrees Celsius.
- To test if the biltong is ready, do a squeeze test. Take a piece out and squeeze it. No moisture should come out.
- Once done, place the biltong in airtight container.