We all want to treat our furry, and feathered, friends that give us so much joy on a daily basis.
Getting treats for your “best friend” used to be time consuming and costly, not anymore with a food dehydrator.
All you need to do is cut, dry, save and store. It really doesn’t get any simpler than that.
Why dehydrated pet treats?
- They cost a fraction compared to store-bought treats.
- They last a whole lot longer than raw treats especially if stored properly.
- Dehydrated treats give you all the nutritional benefits while the heat destroys harmful bacteria.
- Clean up process is simple with a dehydrator, plus some dehydrator models have timers that turn themselves off,when done, so you do not need to worry about over drying.
- When drying meat, you do not need to turn the meat pieces in a dehydrator. Dehydrators are designed to evenly distribute air compared to using an oven, which provides heat directly.
Before drying some fruits and vegetables, make sure that they are not harmful to your pet as some fruits and vegetables are poisonous to some animals.
Some treats to try out:
Sweet Potato Chips
- 2 sweet potatoes – thinly sliced
- 1-2 tsp. coconut oil, melted
- cinnamon to taste (Optional)
- Combine all the ingredients. Dehydrate at 60°C for 2-4 hours or until crisp
- 1 sweet potato – thinly sliced, lengthwise
- 2 zucchini – thinly sliced, lengthwise
- Dehydrate at 60℃ for 2-4 hours, checking the consistency to be chewy and leathery
Green Bean Crunchies
- Remove ends of the green beans
- Dehydrate for 3-6 hours at 60℃
- Beans are done when crisp
Occasional Banana Treats
- Choose firm banana
- Slice it about 1 cm thick
- Place on your dehydrator tray and dehydrate at 60℃ for 3-5 hours or until dry